The Port Angeles Zoning Code turned 50 this year! Join us on Wednesday, June 9th at 6-8:00pm for a workshop and survey to help contribute your thoughts on a zoning code for the next 50!
Click Here for the Event Flyer
Click Here for access to the event via Zoom
Click Here for the City's Dedicated Webpage for the project
Why We’re Updating the Code
Port Angeles is growing. By 2036, the population is expected to increase by up to 5,000 residents. In the short-term, however, local construction activity has slowed due to a variety of factors. The current zoning code has limited flexibility for builders and has been identified by some as a barrier to new housing and commercial space for new businesses as Port Angeles evolves.
The City was recently awarded a Washington State Department of Commerce grant to support code changes that increase residential building capacity and address the design of new commercial and residential development. The three specific actions in this project are:
- Adopt a form-based code for the City’s five commercial zones that currently permit multi-family housing (these are the CO, CN, CSD, CA, and CBD zones).
- Increase the maximum number of lots available for “short plat” subdivisions (Port Angeles currently allows up to four lots, and nine lots are allowed under state law).
- Adopt an exemption for environmental review for certain residential or mixed-use infill development (under RCW 43.21C.229). This will involve establishing strategic design provisions that help mitigate impacts of more intensive infill development types (e.g. duplexes, townhouses, mixed-use buildings).
The City has hired MAKERS architecture and urban design to consult and assist on all three actions.
The City of Port Angeles’ objectives for this project are the following:
- Adopt a form-based code that emphasis the quality and design of new development while balancing economic feasibility.
- Encourage and enable the development on more housing of all types and affordability levels throughout the city.
- Promote and revitalize Downtown by increasing residential units and facilitating economic development.
- Involve the public and local officials at all stages of the project to ensure the code reflects community priorities and values.
- Implement the goals and policies of the Port Angeles Comprehensive Plan.