Envisioning Port Angeles Municipal Code Update
Why We’re Updating the Code
The PAMC consists of 241 chapters divided among 17 titles. Many of these codes have been in existence for more than fifty years or have been amended piecemeal since the City began adopting municipal ordinances in 1890. Over the past 15+ years, both City staff and councils have acknowledged the need for a comprehensive review of and update to the PAMC, resulting in the City Council authorizing the PAMC Code Audit Project. This Project is related to, but separate from, the updates to the zoning, building, and development codes, and addresses every title of the PAMC except Titles 14, 16, and 17.
- Eliminate all provisions of the PAMC that do not appear to equitably benefit the health, safety, or welfare of all people of Port Angeles.
- Add provisions to the PAMC that increase public health, equity, community safety for the most vulnerable community members, and general welfare, to create a more resilient, vibrant, walkable, and livable city.
- Address compliance and/or conflicts with current law.
- Eliminate outdated provisions.
- Create internal consistency and uniformity in definitions, interpretation, and syntax, reduce tentacles, and reorganize, all for a more usable and customer-friendly code.
The City is leveraging State grant funding ($50,000) to accomplish this work.
The project started in fall 2020 and will be completed by fall 2021. Specific steps are shown below.
Project Startup & Initial Presentation
Dec 2020 – April 2021
Preliminary Concepts & Recommendations
April - May 2021
Code Update Public Workshop
July 13,2021 @ 5:30-7:00 PM
First Draft Code Updates
August – September 2021
City Council Code Review and Adoption (as ready)
Beginning Fall/Winter 2021
At the end of 2020, the City’s consultants at Madrona Law Group undertook a thorough review of the entire PAMC based on the City’s objectives. Ultimately, the results of their review were presented in the Phase 1 Final Audit Report (the “Audit Report”).
Top findings from the code audit
The Audit Report includes the details on the PAMC audit findings. Generally, the report recommends non-substantive amendments to every title of the PAMC to address items such as syntax, consistency, references, and outdated provisions. With respect to substantive issues, the following summarizes some of the recommendations:
- Overhaul of code enforcement provisions and processes throughout the PAMC.
- Review and update to penalties and fees, including removing fees from the PAMC and setting forth in a separate fee schedule that is easier for the public to refer to.
- Shifting administrative appeals to the Hearing Examiner rather than City Council.
- Eliminating provisions that simply mirror state law.
- Consideration of adopting a general business license requirement for all businesses operating within the City.
- Consolidating all special event provisions into a single chapter.
- Phase 1 Final Audit Report – Public Summary
- Phase 2 Report and Recommendations - Coming Soon After the close of the August 6th Public Survey close.
COMING SOON – CODE CONCEPTS AND CODE DRAFTS
Meetings and Presentations
- July 13th Open House Recording
- July 13th Open House Presentation Slides
- September 28th City Council Work Session and Survey Results
- Port Angeles Comprehensive Plan (2019)
- Port Angeles Municipal Code (this link exits the City of Port Angeles website)
- Building Residential Capacity Code Update Sister Project Webpage
Have a comment or question about the project or proposed code changes? Contact city staff:
Director of Community and Economic Development
July 13, 2021 Workshop @ 5:30-7:00 PM
Join us at our interactive workshop!
Access the Zoom led meeting here from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or Android Device:
Direct link: https://zoom.us/j/99400688775
Meeting ID: 994 0068 8775
Phone dial-in: (253) 215-8782, enter the Meeting ID when prompted
More Information on how to use the Online Zoom Virtual Meetings Tool (this link leaves the City of Port Angeles website)
Didn't catch the meeting? Check the Meetings & Agenda page for the recording: https://www.cityofpa.us/583/Meetings-Agendas