Updated 1/18/23: Take a survey here - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HousingForAll. Attend the drop in Public Workshop at the NOLS Port Angeles Library Carver Room on January 23, 2023 from 3:00 - 7:00 PM.
Port Angeles is growing. By 2036, the population is expected to increase by up to 5,000 residents. In the short-term, however, local construction activity has slowed due to a variety of factors. The current zoning code has limited flexibility for property owners and builders looking to build missing middle housing. Zoning code has been identified as a barrier to new housing attainability as Port Angeles continues to evolve and grow.
After the Building Residential Capacity Code Changes were adopted by the City Council on December 21, 2021, the Planning Commission agreed through motion to continue a review of the Title 17 Zoning Code. Staff seized the opportunity and began researching options to improve the timing of the zoning ordinance amendment process in order to address housing availability within the City as quickly as possible. Using the Growth Management Act led RCW 36.70A(600) as continued guidance for building residential capacity, staff and the Planning Commission are leading an effort facilitate housing development of all types and affordability, and expand upon code amendments already enacted by the City. Staff and the Planning Commissions recommendations are based upon six different evaluation tenants:
- Code as a Barrier to Affordable Housing Development
- Increasing Flexibility in Zoning Code Provisions
- Increasing Housing Density Availability
- Reducing the Potential Cost of Development
- Ensuring Housing Equity and Availability
- Enabling Local Property Development Through Self Reliance
To ensure the code amendment process best reflects the values and needs of the community, the City will schedule several opportunities for citizens to participate and provide feedback. The first event, a public workshop, will be held at the NOLS Port Angeles Library Carver Room on January 23, 2023 from 3:00 - 7:00 PM. Additional events will include public hearings in front of the Planning Commission and City Council, and several community engagement activities held citywide. Event dates are to be determined and will be announced on the City’s website.
As a resident of Port Angeles, you can help to determine its future. The City of Port Angeles is here to empower its residents to create the community they want to live in. To do so, share your perspective on housing in Port Angeles and what you would like to see changed or preserved in Title 17 of the PAMC.
Here are ways you can stay active and involved in this code update and engage in the decision-making process:
- Take the survey dedicated to housing attainability and the code updates: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HousingForAll
- Write a letter to City officials and staff (please send correspondence to: City of Port Angeles, Attn: Dept. of Community & Economic Development, 321 East 5th Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362).
- Ask questions in person at City Hall, by phone at (360) 417-4750, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend the January 23rd public workshop at any time between 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM.
- Provide public testimony during the Public Hearing.
- Reach out to your elected officials (www.cityofpa.us/citycouncil).
- Check our website for updates (https://www.cityofpa.us/1051/Pursuing-Housing-For-All).
- Subscribe to receive City News & Announcements via email.
- Tell your friends and family; if it matters to you, it matters to them.
The City of Port Angeles is committed to engaging in an open and transparent process. To make this happen, we need your input! Please join us in shaping the future of Port Angeles and have your voice heard!
For more information on how to participate and the proposed specific concepts for code changes please visit the dedicated Pursuing Housing for All webpage: https://www.cityofpa.us/1051/Pursuing-Housing-For-All