In 1925, the Port Angeles Police Department consisted of a chief of police and three patrolmen. Their jurisdiction stretched over roughly 50 miles of land and they provided 24 hour coverage. By 1929, the department had expanded to have six personnel. And by 1954, there were 15 officers in the department.
Frank Dustman came to Port Angeles as a U.S. Marshal in 1894 at the age of 18. He was appointed the first Port Angeles Police Department chief of police in 1915, and served for six months. He later ran for sheriff.